Assemblage (assignment), Bacon Grease, Two New Figures, Entities on a Window Sill, Working with Sausage Casing, Lyre-Making Progress, The Skateboarder and the Angelfish Progress (another longterm assignment)

I gathered together these five items and MIGHT make an assemblage from them for FIN 140, Creative Processes.
Bacon Grease on the bottom of a pan.

I made two more entities this week. They each have a set of wings, although it’s difficult to see them in these pictures. More to come.

Last year I saw some art that used sausage casing…hmmm…I can’t recall who the artist was, so I’ll have to look that up and update this post later, if I can find her.

I want to use sausage casing for the wings on this second entity, so before diving in, I did a test.

I grabbed a random piece of wire and twisted it, also randomly.

I then cut off a piece of sausage casing from one of the strings of casing, dipped it in water, and wrapped the casing around part of the wire, to see what would happen.

The casing immediately became very difficult to handle as the water made it very slippery. Next time, a bit less water before wrapping it around the wire, and maybe use tweezers to handle the wet casing.

I dabbed a small amount of blue acrylic paint (Golden transparent phthalo blue green shade high flow acrylic).
I like the way that the blue infuses the cracks of the sausage casing. I think I’ll try doing the same thing with some watercolour paint to see what the difference is. I left this to dry overnight.
This is what the dried sausage casing with dried acrylic paint looks like this morning. I like the look, but will also try using watercolour paints to see if I can get a subtler look.
Sausage casing infused with watercolour cobalt blue hue is a much better fit for the entity.
Entity is painted and one wing has been added. Paint will be repainted and details added.
Entity is painted.

Entities on a Window Sill

This morning’s rising sun looked great on the entities on the windowsill, casting shadows on their bodies and reflections onto the window behind. Well done, Sun and Entities!
The orb of an interior light fixture reflects onto the window, providing a backdrop for the entities.

Lyre-Making Progress

I’ve found a couple of squashes to turn into gourds, and one, or both of them, will become a lyre. I also have a set of eight strings ready. This project will likely take me a year or longer. Updates kept here.

The Skateboarder and the Angelfish

I made this watercolour drawing in 2019.
Here’s the armature for the first maquette. The long term goal is to create a life-size sculpture, using duoMatrix-G. Right now there are two test pieces of duoMatrix-G sitting outside to see how they fare in the weather. This armature will be covered with Plastilene, which will allow me to change the configuration of the arms and legs because as an oil-based non-drying clay, it will not harden. After I decide on the position of the body, I’ll make another armature with the “final” posture, and use LaDoll clay and work on more accurate body proportions to see how it all works together.
Here is the armature with some Plasteline on it. The pants need to get narrower at the ankles. I can work on that on the next armature, as well.

One thought on “Assemblage (assignment), Bacon Grease, Two New Figures, Entities on a Window Sill, Working with Sausage Casing, Lyre-Making Progress, The Skateboarder and the Angelfish Progress (another longterm assignment)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s